Close Menu
UAE NEWS TODAY
    What's New

    From Dubai to Doha: How Aesthetic Medicine Training Is Expanding Across the Gulf

    August 19, 2026

    Mediclinic Middle East recognised by SRC as Network of Excellence in Endoscopy

    August 19, 2026

    DIB launches its first youth council to develop the next generation of talent

    August 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    UAE NEWS TODAYUAE NEWS TODAY
    • Home
    • UAE
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    UAE NEWS TODAY
    Home»Sports»Fifa refutes report that Infantino sought Trump backing
    Sports

    Fifa refutes report that Infantino sought Trump backing

    Editorial teamBy Editorial teamAugust 4, 2026
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Fifa on Tuesday dismissed as “pure fiction” a report that its President Gianni Infantino had sought support from US President Donald Trump’s administration after the collapse of a plan to sell a stake in World Cup commercial rights.

    The denial came after the New York Post reported on Monday that Infantino had repeatedly tried and failed to reach Trump by phone since his proposal was abandoned on Friday and that he felt isolated amid mounting criticism.

    “The Fifa President has not made any call to the US President, or any members of his administration, in recent days. It is pure fiction,” Fifa said in a statement to Reuters.

    The backlash has intensified over Infantino’s failed plan to spin off the world soccer governing body’s commercial assets into a new entity backed by private investors.

    Fifa’s proposal to unlock up to $4.2 billion from private investors by selling a roughly 20% stake in an entity overseeing competitions including the World Cup collapsed after strong resistance from stakeholders.

    With the plan shelved, attention has turned to the potential repercussions for Infantino, whose prospects of securing another term as Fifa president from 2027 to 2031 have come under increased scrutiny.

    Trump and Infantino have forged a close relationship, appearing together at major soccer events including this year’s World Cup co-hosted by the United States, Mexico and Canada.

    Infantino presented Trump with the inaugural Fifa Peace Prize in December 2025, making him the first recipient of the award.

    The relationship attracted further attention because Thrive Capital — founded by Joshua Kushner, the brother of Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner — had been expected to play a leading role in the proposed commercial rights venture.

    The New York Post also reported that Infantino had scheduled private talks with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio. However, US Assistant Secretary of State for Global Public Affairs Dylan Johnson said in a post on X on Monday that there were no plans for Rubio to speak with the 56-year-old Fifa president.

    Infantino has taken to Instagram to amplify messages of support from member federations including Sri Lanka, Kuwait, Qatar and Morocco.


    Source: Khaleej Times

    Previous ArticleInvest beyond borders with minimum trading fees from $2
    Next Article Meraas marks key project milestone with commencement of groundworks at Nourelle

    Related Posts

    Gaelic Football makes debut at Emirates Dubai 7s this year

    August 19, 2026

    Ombudsman chasing rare Juddmonte International double

    August 19, 2026

    Rodri ends glittering Man City spell with move to Barca

    August 19, 2026
    Top Posts

    UAE strengthens lead on day two of UAE National Jiu-Jitsu Championship

    June 13, 2026

    UAE Team Emirates-XRG targets victory at Copenhagen Sprint with Sprinter Leading Squad

    June 12, 2026

    Saeed Al Hajeri reaffirms UAE’s commitment to strengthening partnership with New Zealand

    June 12, 2026

    ECSSR Director-General meets Vice Minister of International Department of CPC Central Committee

    June 13, 2026
    Don't Miss

    From Dubai to Doha: How Aesthetic Medicine Training Is Expanding Across the Gulf

    Lifestyle August 19, 2026

    Aesthetic medicine in the Gulf is entering a more mature phase. After years of rapid…

    Mediclinic Middle East recognised by SRC as Network of Excellence in Endoscopy

    August 19, 2026

    DIB launches its first youth council to develop the next generation of talent

    August 19, 2026

    Madonna and Taylor Swift lead the 2026 MTV VMA nominations ahead of the ceremony

    August 19, 2026
    2026. All rights reserved.
    • UAE
    • Business
    • Technology
    • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    • Contact us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.